Thursday 1 May 2014

D-Day. Or not..

It's here! Dissertation hand in day! Roll on the timeline full of shiny bound reports, and alcoholic beverages

Here's the main five things I've learnt from doing my dissertation..

5. Actually what my dissertation is about.
Probably deserves a mention. Yep, I did actually learn a little bit about how adult experiencers of parental divorce feel about love and marriage. Yay, Knowledge!

4. Academia is kind of a mammoth task.
Six months, ten interviews and 17372718482842 zillion journal articles later and I barely feel like I've scratched the surface! Every question has so many avenues to explore before you can even begin to deliver a justifiable answer. Urgh. Respect to all the profs out there. Definitely not for me though, thank you.

3. I love the person who invented the synonym button.
You know exactly what I mean, I don't think I even need to say anything to show demonstrate illustrate it.

2. 'Dissertation' means you now have a safe conversation topic with almost any other final year.
It's the "what hall are you in" of final year! Strange, but you would never see a drama student and an engineering student comparing coursework notes, but suddenly they're in the same boat. Dissertation; bringing final years together. How lovely.

Although it is always awkward when you get an over enthusiastic reply  to a polite "how's your diss going?", and find yourself head first into the difficulties designing the hydro-collic-techno-vehicle-engine (soz design/engineering students, I do psychology give me a break).


1. It's just a big piece of coursework.
Really, it is. I can't say I feel like an accomplished academic, and my wisdom  teeth haven't suddenly sprouted. But, I worked hard and I'm proud of my project, so I'm off for lunch and some cocktails.

Go on, post your obligatory diss photo, sit back, and watch the likes rack up and you enjoy your well deserved night off!

Here's mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment